- This event has passed.
Conference: Decoding and the Struggling Reader – Sept. 23, 2023
September 23 @ 8:00 am - 2:00 pm
Get a fast-paced, hands-on, activity-based professional development workshop where you learn strategies that struggling readers can immediately apply to practice what good readers do naturally, which is pay attention to every word, read with a high rate of accuracy, and use strategies for attacking unfamiliar single-syllable and multisyllabic words.
This workshop will provide tools that can help schools build strong literacy foundations in early grades and help remediate decoding issues in upper elementary, middle, and high school students.
While the focus is on instruction, quick and easy diagnostic assessments and an online data-based grouping system will also be discussed.
Simulations will be included so you can feel what struggling students experience.
Educators and parents will leave this workshop with:
- An understanding of why students struggle with decoding and the impact it has on comprehension.
- Tools and background knowledge needed to effectively diagnose decoding issues in students of all ages.
- Resources needed to group students for instruction in ways that will yield the greatest improvements in the shortest amount of time.
- Functional teaching strategies to provide effective, age- and grade-appropriate decoding in Grades K-12.
- A review of Structured Literacy because this is based on the Science of Reading. Find out how it can all work together.
- Learned strategies that struggling readers can immediately apply to practice what good readers do naturally, which is pay attention to every word, read with a high rate of accuracy, and use strategies for attacking unfamiliar, complex content area and multi-syllable words.
Shari Zimmer has been an Implementation Specialist with Really Great Reading since 2010. She joined Century Classrooms from 2005-2010. Prior to that, she was a teacher for twenty years. She is passionate about helping teachers develop a deeper sense of the “Science of Reading” and strives to share “best practices” to help emerging, developing, and struggling readers succeed. She is a firm believer that when “teachers know better, they do better.”
She earned a bachelor’s degree from Bowling Green State University in Special Education, and a Masters in 21st Century Technology from New Mexico State University. She lives on a small ranch in Northeastern NM.
For more information and to register, go to https://Decoding23.eventbrite.com
To obtain a brochure: Click HERE to print a conference flyer.
Marriott Riverside @ the Convention Center
3400 Market Street
Riverside, CA 92501
Remember TCB Members Get a Discount!